Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shall I Remarry My Ex-Husband ?


Shall I Remarry My Ex-Husband ?


Question
I was granted a divorce by my husband because he was not just between me and his other, first wife, and he was dishonest. I learned that during my `iddah, he was seeking marriage to other women. He now wants to contract a new marriage with me. I do not trust his conduct, but I was told that it is wrong to refuse a sincere proposal. Also, I wish to be married because I am a convert and strongly need familial connections within Islam. Is it better to remarry?

Answer
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.


Dear sister in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help you reach the proper and correct decision.

In his response to the question you raised, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

"Legally speaking, if your husband has not divorced you three times, then you are allowed to remarry without being married and divorced to another person. However, if he has divorced you three times, then you cannot remarry him (unless you marry someone else and he willingly divorces you and your `Iddah expires).

However, you should think seriously about resuming your relationship with this person about whom you say that he was dishonest, insincere and that you don't trust his conduct. I don't know what you want to do with this marriage because these are the basic things required among the spouses that they should be honest, sincere and trustworthy to each other. If this person is failing in all these things, then why do you want to get involved in this trouble again? But of course, it is your decision. May Allah help you."